Homemade Honey Wheat Bread! No preservatives!!

Since we began our journey to eat healthier and more organic, one of the hardest items for us to find was a good tasting organic or natural bread.

So, I have been searching the web and found many similar recipes, but as you all know, I can not physically make and knead bread dough! I did find a few good sounding recipes that used a bread machine {but we didn't have a bread machine, use to have one years ago; but it was never used and therefore donated to Goodwill years and years ago} 


I thought, if I donated a good working bread machine, maybe someone else did also. We have a Goodwill literally about one block from our house, so I decided that I would go and just look. 

Well, to my surprise there were THREE just sitting on the shelf. I was able to eliminate one quickly as it only made a very small loaf of bread, and finally I decided on the Breadman Plus. It is able to make up to a 2 pound loaf of bread.



I couldn't wait to get home and try it out. The recipes that I found were either for the smaller loaves or for a larger loaf of bread. So, I tweaked a couple of them and came up with this one.

Honey Wheat Bread
2 Cups Water {warm, but not hot}
3 Tablespoons Butter cut in small pieces
1/4 cup Honey {raw unfiltered organic}
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
4  Cups Flour {King Arthur unbleached 100% whole wheat}
1 package of yeast

All ingredients were placed in the bread machine and set to whole wheat bread setting. I did nothing but pour the ingredients in, no stirring at all! It did, however take about 3-3 1/2 hours from start to finish.

If you do not have a bread machine, just mix all ingredients melt the butter and add the yeast to the water melted butter, and salt, then add honey and flour, let rise in bowl, punch down and place in greased (use butter) bread pan and let rise again. Bake 350 degrees for 30-50 minutes depending on your size of bread pan. 


My hubby and kids started to slice and eat it before I was able to take a picture...so, it was a bit larger than this picture shows! Oh, and did I say how wonderful the house smelled while it was baking? Boy do I love the smell of homemade bread baking!



13 comments:

  1. Love making our own bread. People look at me funny when I tell them regular store bought stuff is crap. It may taste good from the store - but it's horrible for you. Will have to add this bread recipe to my collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Stacey! That is why I love this simply, but delicious recipe! Thank you,
      Sissy :)

      Delete
  2. Oh wow. That bread looks absolutely delicious. I don't know if I can make bread at home(I'm terrible at baking lol) but I can definitely show this to my mom ;) . Thanks of sharing Sissy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zakkiya, You can make this one, it is really so easy....or have your mom make it for you, even easier! haha
      Sissy :)

      Delete
  3. I recently bought a bread machine from a co-worker so this is perfect timing Sissy! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathe! I think you will love your new bread machine!!
      Sissy :)

      Delete
  4. I need one of these! I want to learn to make my own bread so bad but don't have the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clancy, You need a bread machine! It literally took me about 5 minutes to dump the ingredients into the machine and press start!
      Sissy :)

      Delete
  5. Anonymous4/28/2014

    Ah, homemade bread... *sigh* Too bad I'm moving gluten-free or I'd try this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4/28/2014

      Wonder if it'd taste okay with gluten-free flour... I think it'd make me nervous to try it!

      Delete
  6. Great bread recipe! cannot wait to try any kind of bread with honey in it is a win for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been on the fence about getting a bread machine but I think I just got pushed over. This looks wonderful and is so healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pinning and Sharing on FB:))

    Hugs my Friend!

    ReplyDelete