Toxic-Free Homemade Laundry Soap! Super Easy!!

We will be needing more laundry soap in the next few days, so I thought what a great time to share this simple....BUT very effective recipe with you.

I have researched and researched the making of toxic-free homemade laundry soap! There are many different recipes, most with a variant of the same ingredients.
The one I made only has two ingredients and I will explain why as I go.......

Natural toxic free homemade laundry soap

1. Washing Soda 6 cups
2. Soap (3) 4.5-5oz bars finely grated!
Use: 2 Tablespoons per load!

Or you can make smaller batches with 2 cups of Washing Soda and 1 bar of soap!

Borax is the ingredient that you see in most homemade laundry soaps, but it is not in this one!

First Borax is controversial on whether it is toxic free; but despite that....it is never used together with Washing Soda in any prepared detergents. Borax is most effective in Hot water, and since most of us wash in cold water, it didn't seem to me to be the right choice. So I chose Washing Soda.

The best soap to use is one that is natural and toxic free. A Coconut Oil based or Olive Oil based soap is a good choice. {such as Castile}

Baking Soda is sometimes used, but not needed as it works similar to the Washing Soda only it is only half as strong. So why bother with both? Keep it simple, and the likely hood of continuing to use it increases.

Here is how we made it:

First, my son grated the soap for me, using a hand held cheese grater. Or, if you have a food processor (I don't) that would be quicker and easier!!

Natural toxic free homemade laundry soap

Then we mixed the Washing Soda into the soap and stirred. (You can find Washing Soda on the same aisle as the Laundry supplies...It looks like a LARGE bag or box of baking soda)

Natural toxic free homemade laundry soap


Natural toxic free homemade laundry soap


Natural toxic free homemade laundry soap

We added Two (2) Tablespoons to a load of Laundry and also added 1/2 cup of White vinegar in the softener dispenser. The Vinegar softens and brightens your clothes. You may add a few drops of 100% pure Lavender Essential Oil to the bottle of vinegar.

Natural toxic free homemade laundry soap


Natural toxic free homemade laundry soap

Remember that if you have whites that need brightened....you can add 1/2 cup of Peroxide into the bleach dispenser. It will brighten without the harsh toxic chemicals of Bleach.

2 comments:

  1. I had not seen a recipe without the borax. Pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! I made my own for years. I didn't start using the Borax in addition to the washing soda until the last when I was making it. Otherwise I only used 1 cup washing soda, 1 bar of soap, and 6 gallons of water. (or something like that, it's been years since I've made it now)
    I really want to try this powdered version!

    ReplyDelete